Sunday, August 30, 2015

Go For It


One day, I was riding my husband's motorcycle (much bigger and more powerful than mine) and it decided to die on me. I pulled over to the side of the road to fix the problem. My husband came to meet me and helped me fix the issue. He then waited to make sure I got back onto the road safely. Then I realized I had a problem. There was quite an edge to the road that dropped off onto the side where I was sitting with the bike. I had learned in motorcycle safety that you always want to hit a square edge at as close to ninety degrees as possible. This way your tire will roll right over the obstacle instead of glancing the edge and throwing you sideways. I looked at the edge of the road and wondered how I would turn the front wheel tight enough to hit the edge yet not throw the bike into oncoming traffic. I considered riding down the edge of the road in hopes of finding a better spot to reenter, but the edge was littered with rocks and pebbles, also not safe on a motorcycle. I knew the only option I had was to just go for it. So, knowing my husband was watching and hoping to not make a fool of myself, I gave it some gas, turned the handlebars and bumped onto the road. Oh, I wobbled and I was scared for a second, but I made it. I straightened out the bike and continued on my way.

When you find yourself on the edge of the road with your scripture study, remember you have to hit it head on. Don't find excuses or do it half way, just go for it. You might wobble and you might make mistakes, but you can always straighten it back out again. Quit riding on the edge of the road wondering if or when you should start your family scripture study. Turn the handlebars and begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment