Sunday, January 3, 2016

New Year's Calls for New Goals

I'm not a huge fan of New Year's Resolutions, but I like to look at the New Year like a clean slate. It's a time to make some changes,  to do things better.

I am teaching the Valiant 11 girls this year and we get to study the Book of Mormon. I did what every good teacher does and bribed them. I found this cool reading schedule on Pintrest to finish the Book of Mormon in a year and handed them out to the girls.

I told them if they can finish before the year is up, I will take them out to dinner. I hope it is a great motivation to keep them going.

http://www.cknscratch.com/scripturestudygroups/read-the-book-of-mormon-free-printable-schedules



We also talked about why the Book of Mormon is important and I sent them home with questions and references taken from the Book of Mormon Seminary Manual.

Questions Answered by the Book of Mormon:


  1. Is there a God? Alma 30:37-44
  2. Can I know God? Alma 22:18
  3. Does God care about me? 3 Nephi 13:26-32
  4. How can I resist temptation and sin? Helaman 5:12
  5. What is the purpose of life? Alma 34:32-34
  6. Is there life after death? Alma 40:11-12, 21-23
  7. How can I find peace and joy and be happy? Mosiah 2:41; 4:2-3; Alma 41:10
  8. How can my family be happier and more united? Mosiah 4:14-15
  9. How can I judge between right and wrong? Moroni 7:16-17
  10. Why does God allow evil and suffering to occur? 2 Nephi 2:1-2,11-16,22-27; Alma 14:9-11; 60:13

I'm very excited to share my love of the Book of Mormon with my class and hope that they will read and discuss the things they learn with the class. My goal is to help these girls begin to want to study, to enjoy it instead of dread it.

3 comments:

  1. Love the challenge. I challenged mine to at least read it every day- it's the youngest class and I'm hoping they do it. Thanks for including the link to Chicken Scratch n Sniff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. So glad you are getting your class to read!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the comment. So glad you are getting your class to read!

      Delete